No doubt that this year has been devastating for our hospitality industry. It is clear beyond question that things have changed and will never be the same again.
We have engaged with many senior industry leaders and the overwhelming feeling is that staffing will be very different as of 2021.
At the Worldy Group, we have been working for a long time on a new staffing method that is now highly relevant in today’s new world. Welcome to managed commercial outsourcing.
No longer will companies be able to support such a high full time permanent workforce. If you fail to adapt your business now, your competitors will take strategic advantage of your failure to plan and adapt to the changing environment.
People now have to look at themselves as more than just employees. Many are starting to embrace this new model of being self employed.
Worldy People are helping many wonderful people from our industry on this journey and opening up new opportunities for them.
Some of the new trends are below:
- People want to continue to work from home if possible some of the time and the virtual world is here to stay
- The future of hospitality is still unknown and tentative steps will be taken over the next 2-3 years before a clear path is formed
- Companies need to mitigate risk, especially if they have long lease arrangements, which already incur a heavy cost
- Sales needs to be redefined for the new purpose in new ways, with new clients and in new areas
- Supply will continue to outstrip demand for the foreseeable future in many cases
- Guest and delegate demands will be different with more privacy and space being essential
- Real concerns over the career prospects of more junior members of staff especially in the coming years
- Environmental and sustainability concerns will play an ever increasing role in the industry.
There is a lot to take in for sure and like it or not, we have to find a new way.
It is not completely new and happens in other sectors, so it is time the hospitality industry embraced this more fully. It works as follows:
- Commercial roles in your organisation are outsourced to a provider such as Worldy People.
- You, the client, decide what areas you want to specialise in, for how long and set the objectives.
- We then provide the necessary resource for this to happen for a set period of time.
- The people working with you are experienced, vetted professionals and used to working in this way. Not everyone can be a commercial consultant and it is very important to remember this.
- We manage these people on your behalf lending all of our considerable experience in business development and the hospitality sector.
- Our well honed methods, with proven success rates, are utilised by our team with regular reporting back to you.
- This includes all levels of staff not just senior managers.
- All payments are handled by us and there are no issues in terms of taxes, NI or IR35.
We have created dedicated FAQs below to answer some of the main questions related to this method, which is already being adopted and will continue to be popular into 2021 and beyond.
Please call us for an informal and confidential discussion whether you are a company or person looking to work in this new exciting way.
FAQs Commercial Outsourcing
What is Commercial Outsourcing?
It is the outsourcing of commercial staff to a dedicated company rather than having them within your internal team.
Can’t we just use freelancers then?
By all means you can but it will not be as beneficial for you. Not all people are good freelancers. It takes dedicated attributes to be successful as a commercial freelancer and this often needs specific and dedicated management to be fully effective.
Which roles does this refer to?
Mainly sales, marketing, revenue, event management and some HR functions. Leadership roles largely remain as employees and frontline operational staff can be recruited in the normal way.
Which job titles are involved?
This is suitable for all levels of staff including Directors, Managers, Executives and Coordinators.
How does the initial stage work?
You, the client, decide what your objectives are and which types of resource you need. You then discuss this with Worldy People and we put together a proposal for you that we believe will work. After various discussions and interviews if needed, an agreement is made and the person or team start working for you for a fixed period of time.
How long can this be for?
This is the real beauty. It is totally flexible depending on your needs, within the break clauses agreed on contracting.
How many days a week?
Totally flexible and will be agreed upfront.
What is the risk to you as a business?
This method greatly reduces your overall risk and ensures you no longer need to make big decisions with heavy commercial staffing for the future.
What happens if you want to move to a more permanent staffing model in the future?
You are absolutely free to do so at any time. One doesn’t preclude the other. Your only restriction is not to hire one of our team directly without full agreement.
Isn’t confidentiality of data an issue?
All commercial consultants are used to working with confidential data. All have signed confidentiality agreements with Worldy People and will adhere to your privacy guidelines and GDPR conditions.
How do they get paid?
All payments are done via Worldy People. You don’t have to pay tax, NI or IR35 contributions.
How are they managed?
Worldy People will manage the team in conjunction with you. We have many years worth of experience to ensure that anyone working with you are doing so in the right way.
What methods do people use?
We have adapted tried and tested techniques that are successful for working in this way. In addition to our own methods, you are welcome to use your own processes as well. We will always agree prior to commencement and find the best solution.
Do they need equipment?
Normally people will use their own phones and IT equipment. As such there is very little, if any, outlay for you.
What output can you expect? Is it worth it?
That all depends on the objectives, which will be agreed beforehand. You will get regular reports and feedback to ensure everything is on track. Things can also be tweaked as you go along for maximum effect.
Doesn’t this eliminate jobs, isn’t this bad for people in general?
No. On the contrary, people are now able to work in a different way with a variety of clients. It creates work for people from companies that can not provide full time permanent employment. It is especially relevant for the younger generation who can now work with a number of different clients. Great for their development too!
How much does it cost?
Obviously, costs are variable but are generally very compatible to normal staffing salaries for the fixed time without the permenant overheads aligned to individual direct employees.
Do you pay a management fee to Worldy People?
No, there is no additional fee to pay.
Why Worldy People?
The Worldy Group consists of a recruitment, consultancy and logistics business. Our expertise perfectly encapsulates this method. We are not only very experienced in commercial recruitment but we have been undertaking commercial consultancy projects ourselves for the last seven years. We don’t only talk the talk but walk it too. On top of that we are entrepreneurial and very commercially focussed. We want to ensure we do all things possible for a great outcome for all parties.
How to become a commercial consultant with Worldy People?
Please register on our website initially and we will then contact you to arrange a discussion and interview to go over the process in more detail. Register here.
How does it work if I become a commercial consultant?
Essentially, you will be self employed and responsible for your own tax returns. In terms of the work itself, you can take out projects for different clients as you wish and build up your own experience as you go along. Worldy People can help you with:
- setting up and the paperwork
- evaluating and discussing the skills needed to become successful with this model
- offering you some work through our own client base as and when relevant
Where would I work if I am a commercial consultant?
This varies but normally this will be from home to begin with. Depending on the nature of the job, you might work in the client’s office and also be out visiting clients on sales calls. All also dependent on government regulations at the time.