Is your glass half empty or half full? Can we finally begin to look forward rather than back?
We have some more information on a timetable for the end of Furlough and reopening.
But, it can be a complete minefield both commercially and personally at the moment. So, where do we go from here?
Of course, this is difficult to caveat as everyone’s situation is different but in general, I would advise the following (and yes I am also practising what I preach):
- Be Proactive. Do not rely on others to help you. That might mean the government or companies. Even if they want to, they may not be able to do so.
- Diversify. Many people are already looking outside the industry even if it can be hard to nail a job without all of the experience.
- Be persistent. You may well be working hard to find a job but don’t give up. It is a rapidly changing economy and sectors can suddenly be in need of staff.
- Be clever. Often it is about quality and not quantity. Try to reach out creatively to the hiring manager or different companies. Sure, you won’t necessarily have a high hit rate but some will work and in today’s world, anything is possible.
- Innovate. It is a risk adverse society, so think out of the box to help yourself.
- Develop. During lockdown, Furlough and/or enforced redundancy we have all had to spend more time at home. Your situation and CV gap will be understandable but what have you done in that time to better yourself or others?
We are all going through ups and downs. Don’t be too hard on yourself but try not to make one bad day lead to a bad week.